woman at laptop

Unfortunately, it’s not entirely uncommon for employees to face harassment or discrimination in the workplace, especially when the mistreatment is due to a protected characteristic, such as race, sex, age, or disability. Often, this mistreatment creates what’s known as a hostile work environment. If you believe you’ve been subjected to a hostile work environment and that your rights as an employee have been violated, we are here to help. Please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated Los Angeles hostile work environment lawyer from RD Law Group to learn more about what we can do for you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What is a hostile work environment in the eyes of the law?

A hostile work environment is a workplace created to make an employee feel uncomfortable, unsafe, or unwelcome, and can interfere with their job performance and career advancement. That said, creating a hostile work environment due to an employee’s protected characteristic is unlawful in California, and employees are protected from this treatment under the Fair Employment and Housing Act.  To meet the standard of a hostile work environment, however, the conduct must be either severe or pervasive enough to alter the conditions of employment and create an abusive work atmosphere. Typically, an isolated incident or a minor remark is usually not enough to constitute a hostile work environment. Some examples of conduct that can create a hostile work environment are as follows:

  • Making derogatory comments or “jokes” about an employee’s protected characteristics
  • Displaying offensive images, posters, or symbols related to an employee’s protected characteristics
  • Touching, groping, or assaulting an employee in a sexual or non-sexual manner
  • Making unwanted sexual advances or requests for sexual favors

What should I do if I’m a victim?

The first thing you should do is report the harassment to your supervisor, human resources department, or employer. If this doesn’t stop the harassment or mistreatment, you should hire a competent employment lawyer who can assess the circumstances of your case and, from there, file a claim with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. As long as we can prove you’ve been subjected to harassment or mistreatment due to a protected characteristic, you should qualify for compensation for the economic and non-economic damages you’ve incurred.

If you have any further questions or think you may have a valid claim, simply contact RD Law Group today. We are here to fight for you, every step of the way.