money hourglass

If you work hard for your money, you deserve to get paid for it. Unfortunately, some employers in California do not respect the rights of their employees and fail to pay them the wages they are owed. This can include minimum wage, overtime, commissions, bonuses, tips, meal and rest breaks, and other forms of compensation. If you are a victim of wage theft, you may wonder if you can sue your employer for unpaid wages in California. The answer is yes, but you need to know the legal options and procedures available to you. Please continue reading and reach out to a skilled Los Angeles wage and hour claims lawyer from RD Law Group to learn more about how we can assist you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Can I sue my employer for my unpaid wages?

A wage claim is a legal action that you can file with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE), also known as the Labor Commissioner’s Office. The DLSE is a state agency that enforces California’s labor laws and protects workers from wage violations.

A successful wage claim can result in you recovering your unpaid wages without going to court. However, it is always advisable to file such a claim with the assistance of a competent attorney in your corner. In your claim, you will need to provide information about your employer, your work hours and dates, your rate of pay, and the amount of wages you are owed.

The DLSE will investigate your claim and schedule a settlement conference or a hearing with you, your attorney, and your employer. If the DLSE finds that your employer owes you wages, it will issue an order or a citation that requires your employer to pay you. If your employer does not comply with the order or citation, the DLSE can take further action to enforce it.

How can an employment lawyer help me recover unpaid wages?

If you are considering suing your employer for unpaid wages in California, you should consult with an experienced employment lawyer who can advise you on the best course of action for your case. An employment lawyer can help you:

  • Evaluate the merits of your claim
  • Gather evidence and documentation
  • File a wage claim or a lawsuit
  • Negotiate a settlement or go to trial
  • Enforce a judgment or an order

At RD Law Group, we are dedicated to helping workers recover their unpaid wages from their employers. We have successfully represented thousands of clients in wage claims and lawsuits across California. We offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency fee basis, which means we only get paid if we win your case. If you believe that your employer owes you wages, do not hesitate to contact us today. We will fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve.